CHÂTEAUNEUF DU PAPE
2013 Prestige Domaine Jean Royer
|Village||Châteauneuf du Pape|
Deep red. Darker in profile than the Tradition, displaying scents and flavors of black raspberry, cherry and candied rose. Supple and seamless on the palate, with a touch of smokiness building on the back half. A sexy floral pastille note lingers on the finish, which is framed by smooth, slow-building tannins. Rating: 91-93 Josh Raynolds, www.vinousmedia.com (Apr 2015)
- Case Price*: Mix any 12 bottles of wine or buy 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits or Fortified (as a full pack) to get the 'case price' for each bottle.
- Prices shown are inc. VAT.
- Minimum web order £100 which includes FREE delivery.
Like in 2014, the 2013 Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvee Prestige has a darker edge to its fruit and exhibits classic notes of wild strawberries, spring flowers, licorice and a hint of mint. Made from 95% Grenache and 5% Syrah that was raised mostly in barrel (all old I believe), it has medium-bodied richness, fine tannin and a great texture. It too will drink nicely through 2023. Drinking range: 2015 - 2023 Rating: 91 Jeb Dunnuck - www.robertparker.com
Domaine Jean Royer
Jean-Marie Royer inherited his vines in 1985, and set about improving the grape varietal mix and the vinification from then. Since more than half of the domaine is in unclassified ('Vin de Table') or 'Côtes du Rhône, he has developed a marque 'Le Petit Roy' sold as Vin de Table' for everything that does not make it into the Châteaneuf cuvées.The Petit Roy has been a big hit in the shops.
His Châteauneufs are just gorgeous, and in the context of some of the Parkerised dottiness going on, offer refreshingly fantastic value for money. He has undoubtedly been much helped his close friend the star oenologist Philippe Cambié, who he went to school with and also played rugby with for many years. Cambié is more famous for a full-on rather extracted style, but Jean-Marie has imposed his own, fresher, brighter style on all his wines which are crunchy and well-defined.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £100. For orders under £100 please call 020 7244 0522
- Order & Collect from any of our 4 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next day from 11am
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS