Château Angélus

France, Bordeaux

The name Angelus supposedly derives from that of a particular vineyard where devout winemakers could hear the Angelus bell tolling from all the town’s churches. The estate was brought by the present owner’s great-grandfather, Comte Maurice de Boüard, in 1921. He also owned another property Château Mazerat, and after World War II his sons united the two estates under its present name. The next generation took over in the form of the dynamic Hubert de Boüard in 1985. Hubert felt that the Château was underperforming, and he has worked hard since to re-energise the property. His energy and investment was rewarded in 1996, when the Château was promoted to a First Growth – which was well deserved!