Château Clarke is named after the Irish family who bought it in 1771. After more than two centuries of winemaking here, the property was acquired by Baron Edmond de Rothschild in 1973. The vineyard was completely restructured, the buildings renovated and the winemaking facilities improved. the 55 hectares of vines are on clay and limestone which is particularly good for Merlot, and it is this which dominates, the mix being 70% Merlot to 30% Cabernet Sauvignon. Manually harvested and transported in crates, the grapes are sorted on arrival and put into tanks by gravity. The wines are then aged in oak barrels (70% new, 30% one-year old), where they are refined for 14 to 18 months.