Château Lafaurie Peyraguey
Sauternes Premier Cru 1855 This was originally a fortification built at least as long ago as the 13th Century. By 1618, it was the home of Sieur Raymond Peyraguey. The vineyard business was developed by the Baron de Pichard, who bought the estate in 1742. Unfortunately for him, he lost his head in the Revolution and his château and vineyards were sold to a M. Lafaurie. The first half of the 19th Century saw Lafaurie-Peyraguey's reputation rise from nearly unknown to being ranked 3rd, behind ChâteauLa Tour Blanche and near neighbour Château d'Yquem in 1855. In 1879 a small portion of the estate was didvided off to become Château Clos Haut-Peyraguey. In 1917, Lafaurie-Peyraguey was bought by Désiré Cordier, who owned it until they sold to the Suez Group in 1984. The 40ha of vineyard are planted with 90% Semillon, 8% Sauvignon Blanc and 2% Muscadelle. The grapes are hand-picked and the wine fermented in wood, before ageing for 18 to 20 months.