Château Pichon Lalande
Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande is a second Growth in the Pauillac appellation. The estate, which is commonly referred to as just Chateau Pichon-Lalande, used to be a part of the larger Pichon estate, owned by Pierre de Rauzan. The larger Pichon estate gained its name when Pierre's daughter Thérèse married Jacques de Pichon Longueville in the 17th Century. Pichon-Lalande was later separated from Pichon Baron in 1850 due to inheritance, with the name Lalande being gained again through another marriage. The estate was passed down through the generations until the Great War when it was auctioned to Edouard and Louis Miailhe in 1925. Edouard's daughter May Eliane de Lencquesaing became the owner in 1978 and thanks to her passion for wine and strict management; she has seen Pichon Lalande's reputation grow immeasurably around the world. In 2007 she passed it on to the Louis Roederer Champagne house, with the Rouzaud family looking to preserve the traditions. The vineyard covers 75 hectares and lies on deep gravel beds over layers of clay, limestone and sand. The vines consist of 45% Cabernet Sauvignon vines; giving the wine structure, 35% Merlot; providing a certain roundness, 12% Cabernet Franc balancing the wine and 8% Petit Verdot to provide freshness. Together these characteristics provide a softer somewhat more feminine wine, particularly more so than its brother estate Pichon Baron.