Clos Haut Peyraguey
The Peyraguey estate dates back until at least the early 17th Century. In 1796, the aristrocratic lands having been seized in the Revolution, Château Peyraguey was purchased by a M. Lafaurie who appended his name to the estate. By 1855 Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey was awarded Premier Cru status in the 1855 classification. In 1879, the estate was divided and sold, with the vineyards at the top of the slope being cleaved off to become Clos Haut Peyraguey. Thus, Clos Haut Peyraguey sits atop the highest point in Bommes. In 1914, it was purchased by the owners of the tiny Château Haut Bommes and owners, ever since, have resisted the temptation to combine the two. Since 2012 it has been owned by Bernard Magrez, owner of many Bordeaux estates and wineries across the world. The 12ha of vineyard are planted with 95% Semillion and 5% Sauvignon. Less well known than Haut Peyraguey, with which it is difficult to resist comparing Clos Haut Peyraguey, the wines are more restrained and bit fresher. But, with the new ownership only in its early stages, it will be interesting to see where Clos Haut Peyraguey’s wines will go in the next few years.