Now owned by the Symington Family, Dow had an unusual beginning as in 1798 Portuguese merchant Bruno da Silva left Portugal and travelled to England, importing his wine over to sell. In 1862, Bruno's son John da Silva created a partnership with Frederick William Cosens and formed Silva & Cosens. The firm expanded and were eventually joined by another partner, George Acheson Warre. The company continued to thrive, and in 1877 merged with yet another port company, Dow & Co, headed by James Ramsey Dow. Silva & Cosens took on the highly respected Dow name, and simply traded under Dow & Co.