More clay here. Lightish ruby. More dusty and stemmy on the nose – more herbal – than the 2015. Dry, super-fine tannins like tissue paper. Floral and chalky and still so youthful. Immensely long. Drinking range: 2020 - 2035 Rating: 17.5 Julia Harding MW, www.JancisRobinson.com (Apr 2019)
Alternatively, we may well have some bottles in one of our shops - why not give us a call on 0207 244 0522 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or, check the RELATED PRODUCTS below for different vintages or wines of a similar style.
A wine with dried-mushroom and cedar character, plus hints of plums. Full-bodied, chewy and firm. This is clearly the best wine of Sottimano in 2010. Needs time to soften a little: better in 2016. Rating: 93 James Suckling, www.jamessuckling.com (Apr 2014)
Bright, saturated medium red. Raspberry, brown spices and earth on the nose, accented by a note of wild sage. At once silky and bright, showing tangy floral lift to the intense, tightly coiled red berry and earth flavors. Juicy, sharply delineated wine with a sexy topnote of blood orange. Finishes with fine tannins and terrific persistence and lift. Barbaresco for the Burgundy lover. Rating: 93 Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar (Nov 2013)
The 2010 Barbaresco Cottà shows considerable breadth and body, but it is the wine's striking inner perfume and sheer beauty that stands out most. Dark red cherries, plums, mocha, spices and leather blossom in a wine endowed with serious depth. A rich, generous finish rounds things out in style. This is another drop-dead gorgeous wine from Sottimano Drinking range: 2016 - 2030 Rating: 94+ Antonio Galloni, www.vinous.com (Oct 2013)
This sixteen hectare estate is based in the Cotta' region of Barbaresco, and the Sottimano family have over the years bought outstanding vineyards in the 'crus' of Currà, Cottà, Fausoni and Pajore. Yields are kept very low and the winemaking as natural as possible, without the use of pesticides or artificial fertilisers, using only natural yeasts and bottling without filtering or fining. All of these 'crus' are given exactly the same oak treatment so as to allow the individual 'terroirs' express their character (fermentation in barriques, of which 30% new, followed by 18 to 20 months in neutral barriques).
There are five different terroirs with Nebbiolo planted within the estate:
- Basarin, with a mixture of clay, limestone and sand, is at about four hundred metres above sea level. This produces the estate's Langhe Nebbiolo, which is basically 'village Barbaresco', as the vines are very young (10-15 years old). It makes for wines that are always very elegant, refined, tannins are silky and softer, nuanced of spices and herbs (eucalyptus).
- Fausoni, on sand and clay, makes wines that are always very elegant - mint, liquorice and little red fruits. This is in the historical part of Neive.
- Currà, on clay and limestone, is one of the smallest cru of the whole appellation, wines are always very intense and powerful, hard-bodied and with good tannins. Hints of spices and smoke are characteristics of this area.
- Cottà, on limestone with clay is one of the oldest cru in Barbaresco, vines are always very old here (fifty years and older) and the colours are just a little bit lighter than other vineyards (because of the clay), but they have a very distinctive nose of dark fruits and mint, a great elegance and mineral tannins.
- Pajore is almost entirely on limestone with just a little clay. This is the highest vineyard of all, at 420 metres above sea level. The vines are very old, and it is always the most mineral and elegant of the four Barbarescos. Limestone brings into the wine a great purity of fruit, a distinctive aroma of spices and tobacco (cigar box) and a very unusual quality of tannins, firm but very mineral.
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £150 with our own vans. We also offer an express delivery service for an additional charge.
- Order & Collect from any of our 5 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next working day from 11am.
- Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS