2012 Curra' Sottimano
Paler in colour, nose is very pure, cherries, spice, liquorice and flowers, very elegant. Palate is incredible, such depth and drive, rich saturated cherry, plums, spice, herbs and mineral drive, radiates energy and vigour, very fine and pure with sublime length. L&S (Apr 2016)
*Case price discount: Mix any 12 bottles (or 9l equivalent) of wine or 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits, Sweet Wine or Fortified to get the 'case price' for each bottle.
Pale ruby-garnet. Some truffle and earth development, with a scented lift. This may be restrained, but it is giving off layers. Firm, fine tannins, svelte and polished. Perfumed, elegant finish. Elegance trumping power here – as one might expect from Barbaresco. Drinking range: 2018 - 2033 Rating: 17.5 Tim Jackson MW, www.jancisrobinson.com (Apr 2020)
Offers a tightly woven fabric permeated by cherry, currant, eucalyptus and tobacco flavors. Though firm and dusty, the tannins are offset with enough fruit and density for balance. The finish is austere now, but this will find equilibrium in time. Best from 2018 through 2028. Drinking range: 2017 - 2028 Rating: 94 Bruce Sanderson, The Wine Spectator (Jul 2016)
The 2012 Currà is the most promising of Sottimano's 2012 Barbarescos. Bright, floral at the outset, the Currà has a level of explosiveness and intensity the other 2012s in the range don't have, at least today. Rose petal, bright red fruit and cinnamon add nuance as this precise, classy Barbaresco shows off its tremendous appeal. Layers of bracing Currà vibrancy through the mid-palate and finish leave a lasting impression. Drinking range: 2017 - 2032 Rating: 94 Antonio Galloni, www.vinous.com (Jun 2016)
This sixteen hectare estate is based in the Cotta' region of Barbaresco, and the Sottimano family have over the years bought outstanding vineyards in the 'crus' of Currà, Cottà, Fausoni and Pajore. Yields are kept very low and the winemaking as natural as possible, without the use of pesticides or artificial fertilisers, using only natural yeasts and bottling without filtering or fining. All of these 'crus' are given exactly the same oak treatment so as to allow the individual 'terroirs' express their character (fermentation in barriques, of which 30% new, followed by 18 to 20 months in neutral barriques).
There are five different terroirs with Nebbiolo planted within the estate:
- Basarin, with a mixture of clay, limestone and sand, is at about four hundred metres above sea level. This produces the estate's Langhe Nebbiolo, which is basically 'village Barbaresco', as the vines are very young (10-15 years old). It makes for wines that are always very elegant, refined, tannins are silky and softer, nuanced of spices and herbs (eucalyptus).
- Fausoni, on sand and clay, makes wines that are always very elegant - mint, liquorice and little red fruits. This is in the historical part of Neive.
- Currà, on clay and limestone, is one of the smallest cru of the whole appellation, wines are always very intense and powerful, hard-bodied and with good tannins. Hints of spices and smoke are characteristics of this area.
- Cottà, on limestone with clay is one of the oldest cru in Barbaresco, vines are always very old here (fifty years and older) and the colours are just a little bit lighter than other vineyards (because of the clay), but they have a very distinctive nose of dark fruits and mint, a great elegance and mineral tannins.
- Pajore is almost entirely on limestone with just a little clay. This is the highest vineyard of all, at 420 metres above sea level. The vines are very old, and it is always the most mineral and elegant of the four Barbarescos. Limestone brings into the wine a great purity of fruit, a distinctive aroma of spices and tobacco (cigar box) and a very unusual quality of tannins, firm but very mineral.
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £150 with our own vans. For guaranteed express deliveries (for an additional charge) please call 020 7244 0522 or email email@example.com.
- Order & Collect from any of our 5 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next working day from 11am.
- Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS