Medium pronounced mint and liquorice, cherries and strawberry. Palate is rich concentrated, supple with good fruit drive in the core then liquorice, some oak notes then a mineral drive. L&S (Nov 2015)
Currently out of stock in our warehouse.
Alternatively we may well have some bottles in one of our shops - why not give one of them a call?
|Chelsea||020 7244 0522|
|Kensington||020 7221 1982|
|Barnes||020 8878 8643|
|Chiswick||020 8995 7355|
Or, check the related products below for different vintages or wines of a similar style. You can also send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lovely nose of red currant, raspberry, silky pretty and pure, mint notes, mocha. Palate has good weight rich full tannins, lovely silky red fruit, mint and fresh acid good length. L&S (Mar 2015)
This red offers bright cherry notes, along with hints of tar, spice and tobacco, underscored by fierce tannins that coat the gums on the finish. Drinking range: 2018 - 2025 Rating: 88 Bruce Sanderson, The Wine Spectator (Jul 2016)
A fresh, refined 2012 Barbaresco with dark-berry, floral and hints of walnut character. Full body, firm tannins and a clean finish. Drink now. Rating: 93 James Suckling, www.jamessuckling.com (Nov 2015)
Sottimano's 2012 Barbaresco Fausoni shows highly impressive results with a smooth entry to the palate followed by bright fruit flavors that are fused with floral accents, spice and licorice. Fausoni reveals pretty transparency with brilliant garnet accents. The aromas are tonic, vibrant and fresh. There's plenty of menthol and cardamon-infused lift on the finish. This is a very satisfying wine that promises a long life ahead. Drinking range: 2016 - 2028 Rating: 94 Monica Larner, The Wine Advocate (www.robertparker.com) (Jun 2015)
The 2012 Barbaresco Fausoni is a very pretty, up-front wine with lovely fruit and precision. Crushed raspberries, flowers and sweet spices grace the palate as the wine opens up in the glass. The flavors are nicely layered in a soft, delicate Barbaresco that shows the more perfumed, aromatic side of Nebbiolo. In 2012, the Fausoni is all about immediacy. Drinking range: 2016 - 2027 Rating: 92-92 Antonio Galloni, www.vinous.com (Oct 2014)
'Andrea Sottimano's 2011s and 2012s are fabulous. The 2011 Barbarescos capture the radiance of the year, while the just-bottled 2012s show gorgeous purity of fruit along with a greater sense of restraint. Readers who haven't tasted the Sottimano wines in a few years will want to check out these superb, pedigreed Barbarescos, as quite a bit has changed here, particularly over the last 5-6 years. Today, the approach to farming is decidedly less interventionalist than in the past. Sottimano no longer uses pesticides and herbicides. Yields aren't quite as dramatically low as they once were. The same hands off approach carries through to winemaking. Cool temperatures encourage slow and long malolactic fermentations, a long aging on the lees with minimal rackings, an approach that is much more typical in Burgundy than it is in Piedmont. Today's wines are transparent, crystalline and full of personality. There is no question quality has never been higher.'
Antonio Galloni, Autumn 2014.
This sixteen hectare estate is based in the Cotta' region of Barbaresco, and the Sottimano family have over the years bought outstanding vineyards in the 'crus' of Currà, Cottà, Fausoni and Pajore. Yields are kept very low and the winemaking as natural as possible, without the use of pesticides or artificial fertilisers, using only natural yeasts and bottling without filtering or fining. All of these 'crus' are given exactly the same oak treatment so as to allow the individual 'terroirs' express their character (fermentation in barriques, of which 30% new, followed by 18 to 20 months in neutral barriques).
There are five different terroirs with Nebbiolo planted within the estate:
- Basarin, with a mixture of clay, limestone and sand, is at about four hundred metres above sea level. This produces the estate's Langhe Nebbiolo, which is basically 'village Barbaresco', as the vines are very young (10-15 years old). It makes for wines that are always very elegant, refined, tannins are silky and softer, nuanced of spices and herbs (eucalyptus).
- Fausoni, on sand and clay, makes wines that are always very elegant - mint, liquorice and little red fruits. This is in the historical part of Neive.
- Currà, on clay and limestone, is one of the smallest cru of the whole appellation, wines are always very intense and powerful, hardbodied and with good tannins. Hints of spices and smoke are characteristics of this area.
- Cottà, on limestone with clay,is is one of the oldest cru in Barbaresco, vines are always very old here (fifty years and older) and the colours are just a little bit lighter than other vineyards (because of the clay), but they have a very distinctive nose of dark fruits and mint, a great elegance and mineral tannins.
- Pajore is almost entirely on limestone with just a little clay. This is the highest vineyard of all, at 420 metres above sea level. The vines are very old, and it is always the most mineral and elegant of the four Barbarescos. Limestone brings into the wine a great purity of fruit, a distinctive aroma of spices and tobacco (cigar box) and a very unusual quality of tannins, firm but very mineral.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £100 with our own vans. For orders under £100 or guaranteed express deliveries (for an additional charge) please call 020 7244 0522 or email email@example.com.
- Order & Collect from any of our 4 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next day from 11am
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
- Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS