Broader richer nose of plum, raspberry, spice, earth and denser grip on palate, fatter richer dark fruit, spicy, coffee and tobacco, great grip, lovely acid balance. L&S (Mar 2015)
Alternatively, we may well have some bottles in one of our shops - why not give us a call on 0207 244 0522 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or, check the RELATED PRODUCTS below for different vintages or wines of a similar style.
Old leather, tar and rose scents – much more expressive than the Cottà or Fausoni tasted before. Underlying richness of dried cherry. Firm, quite fine tannins, with more depth and length. This is much more like it! Drinking range: 2018 - 2030 Rating: 17 Tim Jackson MW, www.jancisrobinson.com (Apr 2020)
An elegant, strawberry-, herb- and tobacco-infused red, with light cherry and licorice notes. On the firm side, with moderate length. Drinking range: 2017 - 2023 Rating: 89 Bruce Sanderson, The Wine Spectator (Jul 2016)
Smells sweeter and more sweetly fruity than the Fausoni. More floral too, altogether more perfumed. But it’s more strict on the palate. Fine, dry texture, subtle, precise and very very long. GV Drinking range: 2020 - 2035 Rating: 18 Julia Harding MW, www.JancisRobinson.com (Nov 2015)
This sixteen hectare estate is based in the Cotta' region of Barbaresco, and the Sottimano family have over the years bought outstanding vineyards in the 'crus' of Currà, Cottà, Fausoni and Pajore. Yields are kept very low and the winemaking as natural as possible, without the use of pesticides or artificial fertilisers, using only natural yeasts and bottling without filtering or fining. All of these 'crus' are given exactly the same oak treatment so as to allow the individual 'terroirs' express their character (fermentation in barriques, of which 30% new, followed by 18 to 20 months in neutral barriques).
There are five different terroirs with Nebbiolo planted within the estate:
- Basarin, with a mixture of clay, limestone and sand, is at about four hundred metres above sea level. This produces the estate's Langhe Nebbiolo, which is basically 'village Barbaresco', as the vines are very young (10-15 years old). It makes for wines that are always very elegant, refined, tannins are silky and softer, nuanced of spices and herbs (eucalyptus).
- Fausoni, on sand and clay, makes wines that are always very elegant - mint, liquorice and little red fruits. This is in the historical part of Neive.
- Currà, on clay and limestone, is one of the smallest cru of the whole appellation, wines are always very intense and powerful, hard-bodied and with good tannins. Hints of spices and smoke are characteristics of this area.
- Cottà, on limestone with clay is one of the oldest cru in Barbaresco, vines are always very old here (fifty years and older) and the colours are just a little bit lighter than other vineyards (because of the clay), but they have a very distinctive nose of dark fruits and mint, a great elegance and mineral tannins.
- Pajore is almost entirely on limestone with just a little clay. This is the highest vineyard of all, at 420 metres above sea level. The vines are very old, and it is always the most mineral and elegant of the four Barbarescos. Limestone brings into the wine a great purity of fruit, a distinctive aroma of spices and tobacco (cigar box) and a very unusual quality of tannins, firm but very mineral.
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £150 with our own vans. We also offer an express delivery service for an additional charge.
- Order & Collect from any of our 5 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next working day from 11am.
- Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS