2016 Chemin de la Pinède
A Merlot with rich, nicely-polished, dark fruit but a surprisingly sophisticated savoury note too - and wonderful texture. This is impressively layered and has excellent 'chew' - huge bang for buck! A perfect 'supper in the kitchen' wine.
- Add 14 bottles to your basket to qualify for Free delivery - Drinking range: 2018 - 2019 L&S (Dec 2017)
*Case price: Mix any 12 bottles of wine or 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits or Fortified to get the 'case price' for each bottle.
I am not usually a merlot fan but this excellent co-operative-made red won me over. It is juicy (think woodland berries), and also has a leafy, savoury, liquorice-root quality. Delicious. Victoria Moore, The Daily Telegraph (May 2018)
There were lots of excellent wines and new finds at Lea & Sandeman’s spring tasting (brilliant Condrieu and Côte Rôtie from Domaine Benjamin et David Duclaux among them), but this new Languedoc Merlot, the cheapest red on show, stands out at the price, and even more so at £7.25 in any mix of 12 bottles. You won't get better. It packs in a lot of flavour – velvety, ripe black fruit, a dusting of spice and a liquorice base-note – but does it with finesse (and no oak). Hats off to the co-operative that produces it in the town of Sommières between Nîmes and Montpellier. Even if Merlot isn’t your go-to grape variety for house red (it’s not normally mine), do try it. It would wash down almost anything from pizza and pasta to rump steak and would be perfect for entertaining a crowd. Rating: 90 Joanna Simon (Apr 2018)
Chemin de la Pinède
Chemin de la Pinede is made by the over-achieving Vignerons du Sommières, a collective of small farmers in the heart of the Pays d'Oc. The quality of fruit is at the heart of what they do and working along the principles of 'Lutte Raisonée' every effort is made by the farmers to ensure healthy fruit and healthy vineyards. Some of the plots are now being worked organically, and it should not be long before these wines are certified Organic. As Co-operatives go, we have found nothing to match this brilliant producer and the Merlot is the star of the show when it comes to value for money.
Drinking good wine doesn't have to cost a fortune. Here's a fantastic collection of wines for "everyday" drinking that will take your breath away. You'll never buy wine from a supermarket again!!
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £100 with our own vans. For orders under £100 or guaranteed express deliveries (for an additional charge) please call 020 7244 0522 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Order & Collect from any of our 4 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next day from 11am
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
- Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS