There is a swirling mass of black fruit in this wine and it is soaked in oak, too, so the whole experience is heady, rich and a tiny bit overwhelming. Dry and actively tannic, and with a brief hint of the cooling herbal note which other wines show more prominently, this is a powerful 2020 and a wine that needs at least ten years under its belt before you open a bottle. There is no doubt that the quality of the fruit is very good and so I have no doubt that it will balance out nicely in time. Rating: 17.5+ Matthew Jukes www.matthewjukes.com (Jun 2021)
75cl bottles (wood case of 3)Sold Out
* This is a pre-shipment/primeur offer. All orders are accepted under the TERMS of this offer which differ from the terms of the rest of the site.
The 2020 Enclos Tourmaline is impressive. A rich, heady Pomerol, Enclos possesses tremendous depth and richness in both its fruit and tannic structure. Inky dark fruit, chocolate, licorice and mocha abound. The 2020 needs time for the searing tannins to soften, but it appears to have a very bright future. It is one of the most virile wines in Pomerol. Drinking range: 2030 - 2045 Rating: 92-94 Antonio Galloni, www.vinous.com (Jun 2021)
The 2020 Enclos Tourmaline was picked on September 16 at 32hl/ha and matured entirely in new oak. It has a chiseled bouquet, beautifully defined and focused, unfurling gradually to reveal blackberry, blueberry, crushed rock and light violet aromas. There is a sense of "weightlessness" about these aromatics. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannins, very sapid and saline, a Pomerol that is keen to get the juices flowing even at this early stage. This has wonderful poise and precision. Perhaps one of the best Enclos Tourmaline vintages that I have tasted since its inception. Highly recommended. Just 2,400 bottles produced. Drinking range: 2033 - 2052 Rating: 94-96 Neal Martin, www.vinous.com (May 2021)
A solid, tight red with blackberries, black olives and hints of brown sugar and walnuts. Full and tight with fine, persistent tannins. Tight and focused. Rating: 96-97 James Suckling, www.jamessuckling.com (May 2021)
A consistent estate, this has powerful dark fruits - damson and bilberry, good spice and plenty of length. Enjoyable stuff from Peter Kwok's Vignoble K. Drinking range: 2025 - 2044 Rating: 92 Jane Anson, Decanter (May 2021)
Château Enclos Tourmaline
Please make sure that you have read the terms of this offer which are different from those on the main website. If you are unclear as to what is involved in primeur purchases please do contact our private client team via email or on 0207 221 1982.
Prices are all in bond by the case size stated.
Pre-Orders are a firm commitment to buy wines on release, as long as the release price sits within the upper and lower price bands set by you on the pre-order form. Pre-orders will be fulfilled subject to availability but providing this firm commitment to buy effectively gives you priority and is a good idea for the most desirable wines.
Wines listed on the website can be ordered in the usual way via the website wishlist order form. You can also send orders directly to our private client team via email. Please note that, for the most sought after wines, priority will be given to those who ordered the same wines last year and to those that have pre-ordered.
All orders will be confirmed by email and are binding unless written cancellation is received within seven days of email confirmation. Pre-orders are not binding if the release price is above your upper price band.
Invoices are all raised at the in bond price (excluding any duty and VAT) which will become payable at the prevailing rates when the wines arrive in the UK, should you wish to take duty paid delivery.
Payment is required on sight of invoice, by cash, cheque, debit card or bank transfer. We regret we cannot accept credit cards for en primeur orders. We reserve the right to apply a dunning charge of 2% per month on invoices unpaid after 30 days.
- Shipment to our bond (at LCB Creek Road) and insurance are included in the in bond price.
- Delivery is free to Lea and Sandeman / Elephant storage accounts, both duty paid and in bond.
- Other deliveries (In Bond and Duty Paid) are also free subject to a minimum order from the offer of £500. Orders below this total will be charged an administration and handling fee of £16.50+ VAT when invoices are issued. We will group deliveries and this is a charge for your entire purchases, not a per-case charge.
- Delivery of 2020 Bordeaux bought en primeur is expected during 2023. Delivery dates may vary as wines are shipped from Bordeaux at different times.
- We do not anticipate any problems but please be aware that delays to delivery may occur should Britain's possible departure from the European Union result in additional border customs checks or other regulatory requirements. Any additional or unforeseen duties, tariffs, charges or other financial liabilities relating to 'Brexit' must be due to the customer and will be invoiced as required.
Practical notes - how it works
We start a sale in each customer's name and add all their primeur orders to one sale which is invoiced at the end of the campaign (or when the customer wishes). Immediate payment of invoices is then required by cash, cheque, debit card or bank transfer. We and our customers find that having a single invoice for the vintage is the simpler option but please note that confirmed orders are still binding even if the final invoice has not yet been issued.
Please specify on your wishlist order form where you would like the wines shipped on arrival in the UK. If this is to a third-party bonded warehouse, please specify the relevant account details. If the wines are required duty-paid we will issue a second invoice for duty and VAT at the prevailing rate when the wines are available for delivery.
Half-bottles, Magnums and larger bottles.
One of the additional advantages of buying en primeur is being able to order the wine in the format you want. While most of our listings are for 75cl bottles, we can source wines in any format if offered by the Château. Please note that format requests cannot be changed once wines have been invoiced. Additional charges for special formats do apply and are as follows:-
- +£20 per case of 24 half-bottles
- +£10 per case of 6 Magnums (2 bottles equivalent, 1.5 litres each)
- +£35 per individually boxed Double Magnum (4 bottles equivalent, 3 litres)
- +£50 per individually boxed Imperial (8 bottles equivalent, 6 litres) for Salmanazars, Balthazars, Nebuchadnezzars and Melchiors please enquire for availability and price.
Wines bought en primeur won't arrive in the UK until 2023. If you do not wish to take home delivery at that point, you may wish to consider where you would like the wines shipped. Lea & Sandeman offers duty paid and in bond storage through a dedicated storage company called Elephant Storage. For more details on the terms and fees associated with storage please go to our Storage Homepage or contact our private client team for more information.