Another stonker of a wine from Andrea that punches way above its pay grade. Gorgeous concentration, dark fruit, cherry and damson, some aromatic herbs and spice with dried rose petals adding a gentle florality. In the mouth there are bold rich tannins, lovely acid that gives sap and drive, then plum and raspberry fruit, balsamic herbs, aniseed and delicate spice. Drinking range: 2021 - 2030 L&S (Jul 2021)
*Case price discount: Mix any 12 bottles (or 9l equivalent) of wine or 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits, Sweet Wine or Fortified to get the 'case price' for each bottle.
This sixteen hectare estate is based in the Cotta' region of Barbaresco, and the Sottimano family have over the years bought outstanding vineyards in the 'crus' of Currà, Cottà, Fausoni and Pajore. Yields are kept very low and the winemaking as natural as possible, without the use of pesticides or artificial fertilisers, using only natural yeasts and bottling without filtering or fining. All of these 'crus' are given exactly the same oak treatment so as to allow the individual 'terroirs' express their character (fermentation in barriques, of which 30% new, followed by 18 to 20 months in neutral barriques).
There are five different terroirs with Nebbiolo planted within the estate:
- Basarin, with a mixture of clay, limestone and sand, is at about four hundred metres above sea level. This produces the estate's Langhe Nebbiolo, which is basically 'village Barbaresco', as the vines are very young (10-15 years old). It makes for wines that are always very elegant, refined, tannins are silky and softer, nuanced of spices and herbs (eucalyptus).
- Fausoni, on sand and clay, makes wines that are always very elegant - mint, liquorice and little red fruits. This is in the historical part of Neive.
- Currà, on clay and limestone, is one of the smallest cru of the whole appellation, wines are always very intense and powerful, hard-bodied and with good tannins. Hints of spices and smoke are characteristics of this area.
- Cottà, on limestone with clay is one of the oldest cru in Barbaresco, vines are always very old here (fifty years and older) and the colours are just a little bit lighter than other vineyards (because of the clay), but they have a very distinctive nose of dark fruits and mint, a great elegance and mineral tannins.
- Pajore is almost entirely on limestone with just a little clay. This is the highest vineyard of all, at 420 metres above sea level. The vines are very old, and it is always the most mineral and elegant of the four Barbarescos. Limestone brings into the wine a great purity of fruit, a distinctive aroma of spices and tobacco (cigar box) and a very unusual quality of tannins, firm but very mineral.
Nebbiolo must be one of the world's great grape varieties, but it rarely thrives with any virtue outside of its native Piedmont. It is, of course, the variety behind the great wines of Barolo and Barbaresco, but there are other Nebbiolos at less lofty prices that offer that signature combination of big-boned tannin and structure and delicate violet and tar fruit. Here we offer 'declassified' Barolo from Andrea Oberto, 'declassified' Barbaresco from Sottimano, as well as the Australian 'Hairy Arm' Nebbiolo that will surprise all!
Piedmont has the distinction of making, not only some of Italy's greatest wines, but also of using grape varieties rarely found elsewhere. The undisputed king of these varieties is the very noble Nebbiolo, in this case represented by Sottimano's solid Langhe Nebbiolo from Barbaresco - a wine that outdoes many a grander offering. Piedmont's staple red variety is, however, Barbera with its juicy cherry fruit and often surprising body. Dolcetto - the "little sweet one" - is always densely coloured but often at the simpler fruitier end of things. We have, also, included in this case the unusual and delicious Mimmo from Le Piane at Boca in the far north-east of Piedmont - a plump and attractive Nebbiolo, Croatina and Vespolino blend.
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £150 with our own vans. We also offer an express delivery service for an additional charge.
- Order & Collect from any of our 5 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next working day from 11am.
- Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS