CHÂTEAUNEUF DU PAPE
2014 Tradition Domaine Jean Royer
|Village||Châteauneuf du Pape|
Bright red. Vibrant, spice- and mineral-tinged red fruits and potpourri on the seductively perfumed nose. Silky and seamless in texture, showing impressive lift and clarity to the raspberry, spicecake and lavender pastille flavors. Gentle tannins build slowly on the finish, which lingers with persistent notes of candied flowers and Asian spices. This elegant, distinctly pure Châteauneuf should drink very nicely soon after release. Rating: 91-93 Josh Raynolds, www.vinousmedia.com (Apr 2016)
- Case Price*: Mix any 12 bottles of wine or buy 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits or Fortified (as a full pack) to get the 'case price' for each bottle.
- Prices shown are inc. VAT.
- Minimum web order £100 which includes FREE delivery.
Showing a slightly darker edge to its fruit than the Prestige cuvée, the 2014 Châteauneuf du Pape offers lots of black cherry and strawberry fruits, wild herbs and hints of flowers to go with a medium to full-bodied, mouth-filling and layered style on the palate. This beauty is all about sweet fruit and will drink nicely on release. Rating: 88-91 Jeb Dunnuck - www.robertparker.com (Oct 2015)
Domaine Jean Royer
Jean-Marie Royer inherited his vines in 1985, and set about improving the grape varietal mix and the vinification from then. Since more than half of the domaine is in unclassified ('Vin de Table') or 'Côtes du Rhône, he has developed a marque 'Le Petit Roy' sold as Vin de Table' for everything that does not make it into the Châteaneuf cuvées.The Petit Roy has been a big hit in the shops.
His Châteauneufs are just gorgeous, and in the context of some of the Parkerised dottiness going on, offer refreshingly fantastic value for money. He has undoubtedly been much helped his close friend the star oenologist Philippe Cambié, who he went to school with and also played rugby with for many years. Cambié is more famous for a full-on rather extracted style, but Jean-Marie has imposed his own, fresher, brighter style on all his wines which are crunchy and well-defined.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £100. For orders under £100 please call 020 7244 0522
- Order & Collect from any of our 4 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next day from 11am
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS