2015 1er Cru Fourchaume Homme Mort Domaine des Hâtes
As ever there is less acidity in Pierrick's Fourchaume Chablis than the regular village wine - but there is great power and drive. A seductive feel and great intensity. These vines are so well placed to make the most of the available sun in Chablis that you get a gorgeous almost rich weight in a vintage like 2015. Complex, deep and delicious. L&S (Nov 2016)
*Case price: Mix any 12 bottles of wine or 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits or Fortified to get the 'case price' for each bottle.
The 2015 Chablis 1Er Cru l'Homme Mort comes from 35-year-old vines and sees 15 months in 75% stainless steel and 25% wooden barrels. It has a complex and engaging bouquet, with subtle wax and honeysuckle aromas that combine neatly with the cold stone/flint scents. The palate is well balanced with a fine thread of acidity that counterbalances the viscous texture. It is a typical 2015 Chablis: quite rich and opulent and eschewing mineralité for depth and extravagance, and to be honest, it does that with some panache. Drinking range: 2019 - 2029 Rating: 92 Neal Martin, www.robertparker.com (Sep 2017)
Domaine des Hâtes
It is no surprise that Domaine des Hâtes has been recently hailed as '.. one of the new Chablis growers to watch out for..' by the Robert Parker team. Our first visit there in November was very memorable and the work going on here is hugely impressive.
Pierrick Laroche is a charming young man and a very talented winemaker. Clearly a very wise head on his young shoulders. Still in his 20s, he currently manages his large holdings in Petit Chablis, his 12 Hectares of Chablis vineyards and a complete Hectare of 1er Cru Homme Mort, which he labels as 'Fourchaume L'Homme Mort'.
For now he sells off a lot of what he grows to négociants; for a newcomer (2010 was his 1st vintage making wine under his own label) this helps him work through his good volumes - and it’s great for cash-flow. The plan is to do less and less of this as his reputation grows and he is able to sell more under his own label. With the quality of his wines - this should not take long at all! In preparation for bottling under his own name from 2010 onwards Pierrick stopped using pesticides and herbicides in 2009 and has since then manually worked the soil - this great change in practices has seen super results in the quality of fruit he is now picking.
It is all about freshness and precision here. Classical, deeply mineral wines. Picking perhaps earlier than some of his neighbours Pierrick captures beautiful acidity and brightness of fruit - he then loves giving the wine a long élevage in tank to build texture and weight and complexity. He is not averse to using oak - but it is done at a very minimal level with just the 1er Cru wine having less than 25% oak ageing. The results are super, bright, elegant wines but with a real shape and feel - classical, but interesting Chablis. An exciting addition to our Burgundy list.
- Located in Maligny, the vineyard is in the heart of the Premiers Crus Fourchaume.
- 25 ha.
- 100% Chardonnay.
- 2 Terroirs: Les Chatillons and les Pierrettes.
- Masters of grass growing by plough.
- At least 1 year of maturation for all their wines.
- Our wines are raised in stainless steel and undergo full malolactic fermentation.
- 3 stars on the Guide Hachette for their first cuvée in 2010.
- 140 000 bottles per year.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £100 with our own vans. For orders under £100 or guaranteed express deliveries (for an additional charge) please call 020 7244 0522 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Order & Collect from any of our 4 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next day from 11am
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
- Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS