2019 Blanc Les Crais Domaine Christian Clerget

Grapes Pinot Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Beurot
Colour White
Origin France, Burgundy
Other Practising Organic
District Côte d'Or
Sub-district Côte de Nuits
Village Morey Saint Denis
ABV 13.5%
Vineyard Les Crais

Racked just before the 2020 harvest to make room for the new vintage. This comes from part of les Crais that has a very white mineral limestone soil. Quite full and concentrated, crunchy and crisp, bright fruit and lots of character. The vineyard was planted in 2003 with 90% Chardonnay with 5% each of Pinot Beurot (Meunier) and Pinot Blanc. Drinking range: 2022 - 2027 L&S (Oct 2020)

*Case price discount: Mix any 12 bottles of wine (or 9 litre equivalent) or 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits, Sweet Wine or Fortified (4.5 litres) to get the discounted 'case price' for each bottle.

(from vines planted in 2002 to a mix of 10% pinot beurot and pinot blanc and the other 90% is chardonnay). A deft application of wood sets off the mildly exotic aromas of citrus inflected white orchard fruit and melon. The supple, round and delicious flavors are plump and quite forward while exhibiting just enough depth and persistence to be interesting. To enjoy young. Drinking range: 2021 - Rating: 86-88 Allen Meadows, (Jun 2021)

Pale lemon and lime with a crisp fresh chalky nose. Attractive without inspiring me to suggest that others should plant chardonnay in this part of the village. Some weight of fruit, solid rather than refined, but still spreading out quite nicely. Herbal notes to finish. Lemon notes too, fair length. Tasted: November 2020 3/5 stars Rating: 88-91 Jasper Morris - Inside Burgundy  (Jan 2021)

Domaine Christian Clerget

A domaine of 6 hectares, with 8 appellations, run by Christian, Isabelle and their daughter Justine Clerget from their house in the northern end of the little village of Vougeot, which is really in the commune of Chambolle. They have been organic (certified) since 2017, Justine having insisted on it when she joined them, but it sounds as though she was pushing at an open door, because Christian is entirely committed to this approach and clearly believes that good wine starts with the vines.

At harvest the grapes are picked into small cases for the short trip to the winery which really is right in the middle of their holdings. They adapt to the vintage conditions, so that they did 2 pigeages in total in 2019, whereas in 2017, they did one a day throughout the fermentation. In 2018 they did some whole bunch fermentation, but reverted to their normal complete destemming in 2019. At the end of the alcoholic fermentation Christian decants into tank, allows the wine to settle for ten days, then puts the wines into barrel where they stay without racking until bottling. They are using about 30% new wood on the villages and 40% on the Chambolle Charmes and the Échézeaux, and the wines say in barrel for a long élevage of 18-20 months.

Bourgogne Rouge .69ha

Morey Saint Denis Blanc 'les Crais'

Morey Saint Denis 0.20 ha

Chambolle Musigny 2 ha (in Les Athets, Les Babillères, Les Herbues, Les Nazoires, Les Bussières, Les Croix, Les Condemennes)

Vosne Romanée les Violettes 0.37 ha

Vougeot 1er Cru les Petits Vougeots 0.46 ha

Chambolle Musigny 1er cru les Charmes 1.01 ha

Échézeaux Grand Cru 1.09 ha (in 'en Orveaux')

This wine isn't currently part of a mixed case, but you can always browse our full selection of mixed cases here.
  • For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
  • We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £150 with our own vans. We also offer an express delivery service for an additional charge.
  • Order & Collect from any of our 5 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next working day from 11am.
  • Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.