2011 Curra' Sottimano
More centred, compact dark fruit nose, coffee, savoury, spice, saturated dark fruit, rich ripe and concentrated Gorgeous intensity, silky, sumptuous, power, grip, acidity, length and purity, just incredible ! L&S (Mar 2015)
- Case Price*: Mix any 12 bottles of wine or buy 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits or Fortified (as a full pack) to get the 'case price' for each bottle.
- Prices shown are inc. VAT.
- Minimum web order £100 which includes FREE delivery.
A ripe vintage, and quite a dense style here, although not as heavy as other examples from Barbaresco in this vintage, there is a touch of floral perfume and the tannins are spry, even if the fruit is dark and meaty, with some salty liquorice and dark chocolate. One to leave for at least another decade to reveal its true potential. Rating: 93 www.thewinegang.com (Mar 2017)
A firm, silky wine with dried berry, shaved chocolate and orange peel. Full body, fine tannins and a fresh finish. Tight now but shows wonderful finesse and length. Drink in 2016. Rating: 93 James Suckling, www.jamessuckling.com (Nov 2015)
Licorice, spice, leather and tobacco are the main themes in this detailed, elegant red. The cherry and raspberry flavors find equilibrium, with a solid base of tannins. Comes together on the long aftertaste, so be patient. Drinking range: 2018 - 2030 Rating: 93 Bruce Sanderson, The Wine Spectator (Aug 2015)
From a warm vintage, the 2011 Barbaresco Currá exhibits a bold and fleshy style with dark fruit aromas of blackcurrant and plum. In keeping with Sottimano's house style, the wine never feels heavy or bulky despite the summer heat. Instead, it shows elegance and nuanced tones of spice, blue flowers and white truffle. It wraps around the palate with grace and power. Barbaresco Currá does a great job of presenting the elegant side of the 2011 vintage. Drinking range: 2016 - 2028 Rating: 92 Monica Larner, The Wine Advocate (www.robertparker.com) (Jun 2015)
Licorice, spice, leather and tobacco are the main themes in this detailed, elegant red. The cherry and raspberry flavors find equilibrium, with a solid base of tannins. Comes together on the long aftertaste, so be patient. Drinking range: 2018 - 2030 Rating: 93-93 Bruce Sanderson, The Wine Spectator (May 2015)
The 2011 Barbaresco Currà is fabulous. Rich, deep and expressive, the 2011 impresses for its nearly seamless personality and exceptional balance. Here, the warm vintage has softened some of the more angular contours that are often present. Sweet floral and spice notes resonate on the finish, but above all else, the Currà is a wine of texture. Over the last few years, the Currà is the most improved wine at Sottimano, so it's hardly a surprise it is often the last Barbaresco poured at the estate. I tasted the 2011 twice from bottle; it was compelling on both occasions. Readers should not miss the 2011, as it is fabulous! Drinking range: 2017 - 2031 Rating: 95-95 Antonio Galloni, www.vinous.com (Mar 2015)
Andrea Sottimano's 2011s and 2012s are fabulous. The 2011 Barbarescos capture the radiance of the year, while the just-bottled 2012s show gorgeous purity of fruit along with a greater sense of restraint. Readers who haven't tasted the Sottimano wines in a few years will want to check out these superb, pedigreed Barbarescos, as quite a bit has changed here, particularly over the last 5-6 years. Today, the approach to farming is decidedly less interventionalist than in the past. Sottimano no longer uses pesticides and herbicides. Yields aren't quite as dramatically low as they once were. The same hands off approach carries through to winemaking. Cool temperatures encourage slow and long malolactic fermentations, a long aging on the lees with minimal rackings, an approach that is much more typical in Burgundy than it is in Piedmont. Today's wines are transparent, crystalline and full of personality. There is no question quality has never been higher.' Antonio Galloni, Autumn 2014.
This sixteen hectare estate is based in the Cotta' region of Barbaresco, and the Sottimano family have over the years bought outstanding vineyards in the 'crus' of Currà, Cottà, Fausoni and Pajore. Yields are kept very low and the winemaking as natural as possible, without the use of pesticides or artificial fertilisers, using only natural yeasts and bottling without filtering or fining. All of these 'crus' are given exactly the same oak treatment so as to allow the individual 'terroirs' express their character (fermentation in barriques, of which 30% new, followed by 18 to 20 months in neutral barriques).
There are five different terroirs with Nebbiolo planted within the estate:
- Basarin, with a mixture of clay, limestone and sand, is at about four hundred metres above sea level. This produces the estate's Langhe Nebbiolo, which is basically 'village Barbaresco', as the vines are very young (10-15 years old). It makes for wines that are always very elegant, refined, tannins are silky and softer, nuanced of spices and herbs (eucalyptus).
- Fausoni, on sand and clay, makes wines that are always very elegant - mint, liquorice and little red fruits. This is in the historical part of Neive.
- Currà, on clay and limestone, is one of the smallest cru of the whole appellation, wines are always very intense and powerful, hardbodied and with good tannins. Hints of spices and smoke are characteristics of this area.
- Cottà, on limestone with clay,is is one of the oldest cru in Barbaresco, vines are always very old here (fifty years and older) and the colours are just a little bit lighter than other vineyards (because of the clay), but they have a very distinctive nose of dark fruits and mint, a great elegance and mineral tannins.
- Pajore is almost entirely on limestone with just a little clay. This is the highest vineyard of all, at 420 metres above sea level. The vines are very old, and it is always the most mineral and elegant of the four Barbarescos. Limestone brings into the wine a great purity of fruit, a distinctive aroma of spices and tobacco (cigar box) and a very unusual quality of tannins, firm but very mineral.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £100. For orders under £100 please call 020 7244 0522
- Order & Collect from any of our 4 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next day from 11am
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS