Back to wine list


2015 Saint Emilion

Grapes Merlot, Cab Franc
Colour Red
Origin France, Bordeaux
Sub-district Saint Emilion & Satellites
Village Saint Emilion

This is a stunningly beautiful wine which revels in its situation sitting between Canon and Angélus. The nose is heavenly and the palate is wonderfully buoyant with amazing texture and a heroic finish. This is without doubt the finest Vieux Château Mazerat of all time. The finish is almost as gripping and the scent. I had to defer tasting Le Dôme for a good five minutes to allow the finish to subside Rating: 18.5 Matthew Jukes (May 2016)

Alternatively, we may well have some bottles in one of our shops - why not give us a call on 0207 244 0522 or send an email to:

Or, check the RELATED PRODUCTS below for different vintages or wines of a similar style.

This is an impressively perfumed wine, with fragrant black fruits and rich tannins moving together. It has a sumptuous character, powered by fruit as much as by tannins. It is a very fine, rich and dense wine that will age well." Rating: 95-97 Roger Voss, Wine Enthusiast (May 2016)

The 2015 Vieux Château Mazerat, which you could view as Jonathan Maltus' "second in command" after Le Dôme, is a blend of 65% Merlot and 35% Cabernet Franc picked on October 6 and 12 respectively, and matured in 80% new oak. It has a tightly wound bouquet with black cherry, bilberry and cold stone, a floral note emerging after a minute in the glass. The palate is medium-bodied but there is more fatness and density here compared to Jonathan's other 2015 single parcel offerings from Le Pontet and Le Carré. Plenty of "rondeur" here, perhaps because the pH is just a little higher, the finish well balanced, clean and fresh. I look forward to retasting this in bottle. Drinking range: 2019 - 2035 Rating: 91-93 Neal Martin, (Apr 2016)

The top Merlot cuvée in the Jonathan Maltus portfolio, from up on the plateau, close to Château Angélus. The blend as ever is 65% Merlot, picked October 6th, with a healthy dollop of old Cabernet Franc, planted in 1947, accounting for the remaining 35%. The Cabernet was picked on October 12th. The alcohol is 14.7%, the acidity 3.08 g/l. Real depth and interest here, the nose showing a little roasted black cherry pit, blackcurrant, toasted almonds, toasted pips and scents of black tea too. Alongside, there is a perfumed, floral note, presumably the Cabernet coming through. A very convincing palate, a massive step up from Les Astéries, pure, fresh, energetic, with cocoa bean and cherry stone fruit, and dry dark chocolate. When I taste wines of this sort of quality, I can understand why some have drawn comparisons between this vintage and 2005, 2009 or 2010. A huge confidence, great breadth, but also a wonderful frame and definition, right through to the finish. Top of the class; I think I like the balanced contribution from both varieties here, bringing complexity, texture, depth of flavour but also freshness. A remarkable wine. Rating: 18-19 Chris Kissack, (Apr 2016)

This wine isn't currently part of a mixed case, but you can always browse our full selection of mixed cases here.
  • For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
  • We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £150 with our own vans. We also offer an express delivery service for an additional charge.
  • Order & Collect from any of our 5 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next working day from 11am.
  • Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.