GEORGE

2016 Cuvée du Château Puygueraud Francs

IN STOCK
Grapes Malbec, Merlot, Cab Franc
Colour Red
Origin France, Bordeaux
Sub-district Saint Emilion & Satellites
Village Côtes de Francs
ABV 14.5%

This lovely youthful cuvee demonstrates good rounded acidity with subtle notes of blackcurrant, cedar wood and black plum. Its mid-bodied mouthfeel would partner any good game bird dish or a more classic red meat roast or stew. L&S L&S (Nov 2019)

*Case price discount: Mix any 12 bottles (or 9l equivalent) of wine or 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits, Sweet Wine or Fortified to get the 'case price' for each bottle.

50% Malbec, 30% Cabernet Franc, 20% Merlot. Full of poise and drama, a tightrope of power and finesse, really impressive with complexity and depth, and a really interesting blend of grapes. HVE certified. Drinking range: 2020 - 2034 Rating: 93 Jane Anson, Decanter(Nov 2019)

“This cuvee is Nicolas’ tribute to his father, George, who particularly appreciated the Malbec grape variety, equally known as “Pressac” in the Bordeaux area. He so much liked the Cabernet Franc that the “George” blend still contains at least 80% of these two varietals and the Merlot contributing to the remaining 20%. This wine is produced uniquely when the quality of the Malbec’s is remarkable”. Winemaker's notes(Nov 2019)

Château Puygueraud

The Côtes de Francs, an appellation dating only from 1967, is to the east of Saint Emilion, and is the smallest of the Bordeaux appellations at a mere 450 hectares. Georges Thienpont. who arrived here from Oudenaarde in Flanders in 1946, was responsible for the revival of the Côtes de Francs appellation which is dominated by Château Puygueraud. Georges began the replanting of the vineyards in the 1970s and the first wine was produced in 1983. Georges' son Nicolas, who is also responsible for La Prade, Pavie Macquin, Larcis Ducasse and the white wine Les Charmes Godard, has made the wine here ever since. His cousins run Vieux Château Certan, Le Pin, and l’If, so this property is nothing if not well-connected. Château Puygueraud is mainly Merlot with, however, a proportion of Cabernet that is quite high for the region as well as a touch of Malbec with its peppery character. In 2005, all the Cabernet Sauvignon was pulled up and Cabernet Franc was planted instead. This variety is better suited to the terroir of the Cotes de Francs, and gives a distinctive aromatic brightness and definition to the wines. Château Lauriol is principally the second wine of Château Puygueraud, made from the younger vines. It is also more gently oaked and is ready to drink younger, and very ‘digestible’ wine.

This wine isn't currently part of a mixed case, but you can always browse our full selection of mixed cases here.
  • For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
  • We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £150 with our own vans. For guaranteed express deliveries (for an additional charge) please call 020 7244 0522 or email admin@leaandsandeman.co.uk.
  • Order & Collect from any of our 5 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next working day from 11am.
  • Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.

ORDER     COLLECT

ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS