As ever, this is a scaled down version of the Barbaresco, in that it is sourced from the estate's younger vines (10 to 15 years old) from the Basarin vineyard, undergoes exactly the same vinification and is bottled six months earlier. Very approachable and elegant, almost Pinot like. Licorice and spice. L&S (Nov 2014)
Alternatively, we may well have some bottles in one of our shops - why not give us a call on 0207 244 0522 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or, check the RELATED PRODUCTS below for different vintages or wines of a similar style.
Light redcurrant nose, plenty of chewy tannic attack on the palate. Classically structured and nicely perfumed on the finish though quite limited in complexity. Drinking range: 2016 - 2022 Rating: 16+ Richard Hemming MW - www.JancisRobinson.com (Jul 2016)
A lifted perfume, dry cherry fruit, fine tannins and a soft, juicy freshness make for an elegant 'mini Barbaresco'. Not surprising, as it's made from Andrea Sottimano's younger Barbaresco vines (10–15 years old), vinified in the same way but bottled earlier. Rating: 89 The Wine Gang - www.thewinegang.com (Apr 2016)
The 2012 Langhe Nebbiolo is a drop-dead gorgeous beauty. Freshly cut flowers, sweet red berries, cinnamon and mint are all woven together in an utterly textured Nebbiolo bursting at the seams with pure class. Bright red cherries, raspberries and rose petals linger on the super expressive finish. Drinking range: 2014 - 2020 Rating: 90 Antonio Galloni, www.vinous.com (Nov 2014)
This sixteen hectare estate is based in the Cotta' region of Barbaresco, and the Sottimano family have over the years bought outstanding vineyards in the 'crus' of Currà, Cottà, Fausoni and Pajore. Yields are kept very low and the winemaking as natural as possible, without the use of pesticides or artificial fertilisers, using only natural yeasts and bottling without filtering or fining. All of these 'crus' are given exactly the same oak treatment so as to allow the individual 'terroirs' express their character (fermentation in barriques, of which 30% new, followed by 18 to 20 months in neutral barriques).
There are five different terroirs with Nebbiolo planted within the estate:
- Basarin, with a mixture of clay, limestone and sand, is at about four hundred metres above sea level. This produces the estate's Langhe Nebbiolo, which is basically 'village Barbaresco', as the vines are very young (10-15 years old). It makes for wines that are always very elegant, refined, tannins are silky and softer, nuanced of spices and herbs (eucalyptus).
- Fausoni, on sand and clay, makes wines that are always very elegant - mint, liquorice and little red fruits. This is in the historical part of Neive.
- Currà, on clay and limestone, is one of the smallest cru of the whole appellation, wines are always very intense and powerful, hard-bodied and with good tannins. Hints of spices and smoke are characteristics of this area.
- Cottà, on limestone with clay is one of the oldest cru in Barbaresco, vines are always very old here (fifty years and older) and the colours are just a little bit lighter than other vineyards (because of the clay), but they have a very distinctive nose of dark fruits and mint, a great elegance and mineral tannins.
- Pajore is almost entirely on limestone with just a little clay. This is the highest vineyard of all, at 420 metres above sea level. The vines are very old, and it is always the most mineral and elegant of the four Barbarescos. Limestone brings into the wine a great purity of fruit, a distinctive aroma of spices and tobacco (cigar box) and a very unusual quality of tannins, firm but very mineral.
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £150 with our own vans. For guaranteed express deliveries (for an additional charge) please call 020 7244 0522 or email email@example.com.
- Order & Collect from any of our 5 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next working day from 11am.
- Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS