2018 Le Macchiole
|Grapes||Cab Franc, Cab Sauv, Syrah, Merlot|
(Merlot 40%, Cabernet Franc 20%, Cabernet Sauvignon 20%, Syrah 20%). Fermentation and maceration for about 15 days in steel tanks. Then aged for 10 months, 80% in oak barriques (2nd, 3rd and 4th use) and the other 20% in concrete. L&S (Mar 2020)
*Case price discount: Mix any 12 bottles (or 9l equivalent) of wine or 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits, Sweet Wine or Fortified to get the 'case price' for each bottle.
Le Macchiole’s 2018 Bolgheri Rosso will give readers a very good idea of the vintage in Bolgheri. Fresh, fruity and impeccable in its balance, the 2018 is a model of understatement. What it lacks in classic Bolgheri opulence, it more than makes up for with its gracious personality and overall appeal. Drinking range: 2020 - 2026 Rating: 90 Antonio Galloni, www.vinous.com (Jan 2021)
The Le Macchiole 2018 Bolgheri Rosso (with 160,000 bottles made) is an informal blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Syrah. The wine sports a buoyant and cheerful personality with plenty of fruity freshness, focused mostly on plum, black cherry and cassis. The wine's medium-bodied mouthfeel is freshened up by the balanced acidity that comes so easily in this cool but classic vintage. There are delicate hints of Mediterranean herb and dried mint on the close. This wine would make a fine partner to ravioli stuffed with ricotta and cooked in butter. Drinking range: 2020 - 2025 Rating: 92 Monica Larner, The Wine Advocate (www.robertparker.com) (Oct 2020)
Initially put onto the wine map by Eugenio Campolmi in 1983, the Le Macchiole estate has been run by his wife Cinzia since 2002. In the heart of Bolgheri, with 22 hectares of vineyard over much of the best soils of the region these are, along with the Sassicaia and Ornellaia's vineyards, also among the oldest and most established vines in Bolgheri. Their careful selection of grape varieties and cultivation techniques according to climate and soil has led them to concentrate on Merlot, Syrah and most importantly Cabernet Franc, a variety which can express itself so well in the hands of Le Macchiole.
All of their wines are marked by a unique and unmistakable character. Full bodied wines, and yet with clean and elegant flavours, leading to great freshness and finesse, they are incredibly sought after world-wide. The estate has been organic since 2002, and they are experimenting with biodynamics.
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £150 with our own vans. For guaranteed express deliveries (for an additional charge) please call 020 7244 0522 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Order & Collect from any of our 5 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next working day from 11am.
- Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS