2015 Pajoré Sottimano
Of these various single-vintage releases by Sottimano (including Basarin, Cottá and Fausoni), the 2015 Barbaresco Pajorè is very well integrated and smooth. The tannin management shows an excellent approach, and you don't get the astringency that comes forward in the Basarin. Instead, this expression offers increased focus on the ripe, round and plump fruit of the vintage. Only 5,000 bottles (including magnums) were produced. Drinking range: 2020 - 2035 Rating: 93 Monica Larner, The Wine Advocate (www.robertparker.com) (Sep 2018)
*Case price discount: Mix any 12 bottles (or 9l equivalent) of wine or 6 bottles of Champagne, Spirits, Sweet Wine or Fortified to get the 'case price' for each bottle.
Dark ruby with narrow bricky rim. Ripe, dark cherry that is a little ethereal but certainly complex. Full, ripe-fruit palate that is not yet as complex as the nose has it, but certainly generous and mouth-filling. Long and tactile finish with bags of grainy tannins matching the rich fruit. Drinking range: 2018 - 2028 Rating: 17+ Walter Speller, www.jancisrobinson.com (Jul 2018)
The 2015 Barbaresco Pajoré is the most potent and brooding of the 2015s. The heft, weight and structure of Pajoré comes through in the 2015, but the flavor profile is similar to that of the other wines. Racy, silky and generous, the 2015 is very much the product of a warm, sunny growing season. The Pajoré will need at least a few years to shed some tannin, but it is very showy, even at this early stage. Rating: 94 Antonio Galloni, www.vinous.com (Oct 2017)
This sixteen hectare estate is based in the Cotta' region of Barbaresco, and the Sottimano family have over the years bought outstanding vineyards in the 'crus' of Currà, Cottà, Fausoni and Pajore. Yields are kept very low and the winemaking as natural as possible, without the use of pesticides or artificial fertilisers, using only natural yeasts and bottling without filtering or fining. All of these 'crus' are given exactly the same oak treatment so as to allow the individual 'terroirs' express their character (fermentation in barriques, of which 30% new, followed by 18 to 20 months in neutral barriques).
There are five different terroirs with Nebbiolo planted within the estate:
- Basarin, with a mixture of clay, limestone and sand, is at about four hundred metres above sea level. This produces the estate's Langhe Nebbiolo, which is basically 'village Barbaresco', as the vines are very young (10-15 years old). It makes for wines that are always very elegant, refined, tannins are silky and softer, nuanced of spices and herbs (eucalyptus).
- Fausoni, on sand and clay, makes wines that are always very elegant - mint, liquorice and little red fruits. This is in the historical part of Neive.
- Currà, on clay and limestone, is one of the smallest cru of the whole appellation, wines are always very intense and powerful, hard-bodied and with good tannins. Hints of spices and smoke are characteristics of this area.
- Cottà, on limestone with clay is one of the oldest cru in Barbaresco, vines are always very old here (fifty years and older) and the colours are just a little bit lighter than other vineyards (because of the clay), but they have a very distinctive nose of dark fruits and mint, a great elegance and mineral tannins.
- Pajore is almost entirely on limestone with just a little clay. This is the highest vineyard of all, at 420 metres above sea level. The vines are very old, and it is always the most mineral and elegant of the four Barbarescos. Limestone brings into the wine a great purity of fruit, a distinctive aroma of spices and tobacco (cigar box) and a very unusual quality of tannins, firm but very mineral.
- For full delivery details see our Delivery page.
- We offer free nationwide* delivery for all orders over £150 with our own vans. For guaranteed express deliveries (for an additional charge) please call 020 7244 0522 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Order & Collect from any of our 5 London shops. Order by Midnight for collection the next working day from 11am.
- Private wine storage: we offer a full In Bond and Duty Paid private wine storage service - find out more here.
ORDER ONLINE AND COLLECT FROM ONE OF OUR SHOPS